POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Links Reorg : Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Links Reorg
From: Bob H
Date: 15 May 2006 20:08:02
Message: <446917e2$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote in message

>  I should have made it more apparent that the boxes on the left are just
> the top level of the hierarchy and that it's meant to be simpler than the
> current layout.

Actually, that much was already obvious enough, to me anyway. Just took some
long looks before I could imagine what might actually be changed then that's
where I began to get confused.

There's a lot of breaking it down into subcategories I hadn't realized might
be happening with this reorganization idea when I first read it here. So
many different things. I started imagining web pages nested a dozen deep to
get to a final destination!

> I've updated the two links you had to the URL you've given above.

Thanks for delving into that to change those to my more permanent ISP. I was
willing to wait for any options made to everyone for making or submitting
changes ourselves, supposing that might happen someday. Doubt I'll ever have
another ISP in this decade or the next so maybe that won't be needing
another change again. I've opted to get a domain and web host to mirror
stuff onto this time with the hopes both won't get abandoned.

> I'm proposing that the People's Pages get split into two. With a category
> where POV-Team members  (present and past) can link to whatever they
> want plus a category for 'Galleries' which would links off to the various
> POV-Ring lists as well as to the IRTC and the Hall of Fame. This would
> reduce the need for maintaining these links, but would leave nowhere for
> direct links to user's galleries. POV-Ray users would need to register
> their galleries on one or more of the POV-Rings.

Not sure I have any input concerning this right now... maybe...

One of my People Page's links (omniverse) has a POV-Ring junction on the
page, almost exclusively unless you read the fine print there, with the
links to the rest of my site embedded into an image. My site(s) can be a
haphazard mess to stumble into. I know many, many people are joined to that
ring or others but I must wonder of the vast majority of people who aren't.
It all comes down to the willingness to add those links to their own site or
whether they might prefer to only connect up at povray.org, so to speak. I
can understand the difficulty involved for the maintainer of this site if
the additional workload of fielding and editing submissions from whatever
there is to submit, so maybe that (personal pages, like blogs, galleries,
shared files, info) should be considered as limited if done at all. In other
words, I don't really have any constructive ideas on the topic I'm just
rambling. :)

Bob